Dental Implants At Johnston Dental
Considering dental implants? Tooth loss is a common problem, even in adults. In fact, it is estimated that 70 percent of adults have lost one or more permanent teeth by the age of 44. Missing Regular Dental Check Ups, Gum disease, accidents, and tooth decay are some of the things that can cause adults to lose their teeth. Additionally, 26 percent of adults have lost all of their permanent teeth by the age of 74.
Having a gaped smile can have a negative impact not only on one’s appearance, but also on a person’s oral function and quality of life. People who have missing teeth often have trouble speaking and eating. Missing teeth can also lead to poor oral health that can compromise a person’s overall health. The good news is that dental implants are a viable tooth restoration option for many people.
What is a Dental Implant?
Basically, a dental implant is a post that is made out of titanium and acts as a tooth root where a natural tooth root once was. Dental implants are often the preferred restoration option because they have a very high success rate in those who have adequate jawbone density to hold the titanium post. Most people who ask us about dental implants are considered good candidates for this restorative procedure, but a complete exam and evaluation will need to be done to confirm bone density and overall health status.
Dental implant placement requires a team effort. Dr. Johnston and his highly skilled team have had special training in the placement of dental implants and tooth restoration. The first step in performing this procedure is the consultation. During the consultation, we give the patient a thorough examination and take x-rays. An impression will also be taken, which will be used to make the crowns that will act as the tooth surface once the dental implants are placed. As this procedure is considered oral surgery, a time of healing is required before the crowns can be placed. This allows time for the dental implant to fuse with the jawbone. After the implant and crown have been placed, the patient will have to attend follow-up appointments to make sure healing and jaw function are progressing.
There are multiple benefits to dental implants, including…
- Improved appearance. Missing teeth not only ruin your smile, but they can also cause you to look older. A dental implant can greatly improve a person’s overall appearance.
- Restored function. An implant can restore jaw function, so the ability to eat and speak will greatly improve.
- Improved oral health. We usually don’t have to remove any additional teeth to place an implant. That is another reason dental implants are usually the preferred restoration option. People who have implants also have an easier time cleaning their teeth. This will help improve and protect not only their oral health, but their overall health as well.
- Convenience. tooth restoration will make life more convenient. Because dental implants are permanent, and you will not have to worry about removing an implant like you would a denture appliance. Dental implants literally become part of your body, just like your natural teeth, so taking good care of them is just as important as taking care of your natural teeth.
- Durability. With proper oral care, a dental implant can last a lifetime.
Find Out More About Dental Implants
To learn more about dental implants and whether you are a good candidate for this procedure, call Dr. Lamar Johnston today at (318) 255-3280 or email email@example.com. Our office is located in Ruston, LA and we also service clients from surrounding areas such as Monroe.